Welcome to Ask Nurse Mary’s Wellness News Blog
where our motto is:
Healthy Living ~ the “Power” to move mountains!
We have packed this site with information about herbs, supplements, healthy living tips & health articles. Follow the blog. Sign up on the left for email notifications.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Get your Healthy Greens with this unique blend of foods from Positive Power Nutritionals.
See what is in it:
- Super Nutritional Greens: Alfalfa Grass, wheat grass, green barley grass, chlorella Algae, spirulina algae, aloe vera, green tea extract
- Phyto Nutrients (luetine rich): Kale Greens, spinache leaves, cabbage, parsley leaf, tomatoes, broccoli, caulifllower, beet root, beet leaf, brussell sprouts, leek root, carrot root, black radish root, green bell pepper, deodorized garlic
- Fiber Complex: Apple pectin, psyllium seed husk, oat bran, rice bran, flax seed, fennel seed, wheat germ
- Digestive Nutrients: acidophilus, bulgaricus, bifidus
- Special Nutrients: Shitake mushroom, reishi mushroom, cranberry extract, grapeseed extrace, pycnogenol, bee pollen, royal jelly, bee propolis, coenzyme Q10
Learn More and: purchase your own
Lets Get Heart Smart: Risk Factors of Heart Related Illness
by Mary Howard, RN
There is new evidence that shows dietary intake of fat and cholesterol, such as fat meat and eggs, may not be the culprit to heart related illness. Carbohydrates and Homocysteine levels may be some of the important culprits. We’ll also look at some other factor to lower your risk of heart attack, stroke and high blood pressure.
Research has shown that the vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients (additional compounds in plants – like antioxidants) of vegetables and fruits have great health benefits and may even:
• Naturally increase your energy level
• Assist your weight-loss efforts by reducing your appetite and improving your metabolism
• Reduce inflammation and help relieve your stiff joints and achy muscles
• Lower your risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease and stroke
• Protect your vision from age-related vision loss and blindness (ARMD)
• Help you maintain strong bones
• Support your immune function and increase your resistance to infections
• Reduce allergy symptoms without drowsiness
• Improve your mental acuity, protecting your mind and memory
• Detoxify toxic metals and chemicals
• Help slow aging of your skin and dulling of your hair
• Restore healthy digestion
Order your own: nanogreens
1. What are Herbs?
- Herbs are the highest quality food known to man containing vitamin, minerals and trace elements in natural balance and harmony.
2. Why use Herbs?
- It is our sincere belief that our Creator put herbs upon the earth to maintain and restore our health. We believe that herbs get to the cause of health problems.
3. Are there bad side effects with using herbs?
- No, but some people experience cleansing action on the body when first using herbs (such as nausea, diarrhea, aches, etc.). It is this detoxifying process that helps bring the body into a state of health.
4. Do I treat herbs like drugs?
- (for example: small dosages, caution in mixing & possible overdose)
- Herbs are FOOD, not drugs. Herbs can be taken in large quantities with no harmful side effects. Mixing herbs has less of a side effect than eating different foods together. Therefore, you can take all the herbs you want to get greater health benefits. Most chemical drugs can be taken at the same time as hers, but is preferable to take at different times.
5. How many herbs should I take and for how long?
- When using a new her, begin with a recommended dosage and observe how your body reacts to it. If you do not receive the desires result, increase of decrease the dosage accordingly. When herbs are used for restoring health, dosages will need to be five-to-seven times that which is required for maintaining health. Depending of course on the ailment and the severity of it.
Homeopathic remedies (also called homeopathics) are a system of medicine based on three principles:
- Like Cures Like – For example, if the symptoms of a cold are similar to poisoning by mercury then mercury would be your homopathic remedy.
- Minimal Dose – The remedy is taken in an extremely dilute form; normally one part of the remedy is around 1,000,000,000,000 parts water.
- The Single Remedy – No mater how many symptoms are experienced, only one remedy is taken, and that remedy will be aimed at all those symptoms.
Similar principals forms the basis of conventional allergy treatment, where the allergic substance is given in a smaller dose, and in vaccines where an impotent form of the virus is given to bolster the immune system against that particular virus.
Homeopathy is the second most widely used system of medicine in the world. Its growth in popularity in the United States has been around 25 to 50 percent a year throughout the last decade.
The success is fueled by several factors:
- Homeopathy is extremely effective. When the correct remedy is taken, results can be rapid, complete and permanent.
- Homeopathy is completely safe. Even babies and pregnant women can use Homeopathy without the danger of side effects. Homeopathic remedies can also be taken alongside other medication without producing unwantes side effects.
- Homeopathy is natural. Homeopathic remedies are normally based on natural ingredients.
- Homeopathy works in harmony with your immune system, unlike some conventional medicines which suppress the immune system. (for example, cough medicines suppress the cough reflex, which is your body’s attempt to clear the lungs)
- Homeopathic remedies are not addictive – once relief is felt, you should stop taking them. If no relief is felt, you are probably taking the wrong homeopathic remedy.
- Homeopathy is holistic. It treats all the symptoms as one, which is practical terms means that it addresses the cause, not the symptoms. This often means that symptoms tackled with Homeopathy do not recur.
by Mary Howard, RN
Herbs and other natural remedies are so popular in our society. Lets look at a few things to make sure what you are taking is safe and the importance of taking control of your own health care.