Coconut oil is one of the few foods that can be classified as a “superfood.” Its unique combination of fatty acids can have profound positive effects on health. This includes fat loss, better brain function and various other amazing benefits.
- Coconut oil contains a lot of medium chain triglycerides, which are metabolized differently and can have therapeutic effects on several brain disorders.
- The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil have been shown to increase 24 hour energy expenditure by as much as 5%, potentially leading to significant weight loss over the long term.
- The fatty acids and breakdown products in coconut oil can kill harmful pathogens, potentially helping to prevent infections.
- The fatty acids in coconut oil can significantly reduce appetite, which may positively affect body weight over the long term.
- The MCTs in coconut oil can increase blood concentration of ketone bodies, which can help reduce seizures in epileptic children.
- Studies in both humans and rats show that coconut oil improves important risk factors like Total, LDL and HDL cholesterol, which may translate to a reduced risk of heart disease.
- Studies show that the fatty acids in coconut oil can increase blood levels of ketone bodies, supplying energy for the brain cells of Alzheimer’s patients and relieving symptoms.
Purchase your own: Coconut Oil Capsules
Herbs that assist your body to reduce Cholesterol include:
Artichoke – The total antioxidant capacity of artichoke flower heads is one of the highest reported for vegetables. It inhibits taste receptors, making water (and other foods and drinks) seem sweet. Studies have shown artichoke to aid digestion, hepatic and gall bladder function, and raise the ratio of HDL to LDL. This reduces cholesterol levels, which diminishes the risk for arteriosclerosis and coronary heart disease. Aqueous extracts from artichoke leaves have also been shown to reduce cholesterol by inhibiting HMG-CoA reductase and having a hypolipidemic influence, lowering blood cholesterol. Artichoke leaf extract has proved helpful for patients with functional dyspepsia as well.